No Korean Military Talks After North Snubs South’s Call

0
277
http://statesman.ng/wp-admin/post-new.php

The proposal made by South Korea on Monday was designed to find ways to minimise hostilities on the border. And even though the North hasn’t responded, Seoul says it’s not too late.

“Talks between the North and South are urgently needed for peace and stability on the Korean Peninsula, and to ease military tensions between the North and the South,” said a South Korean Defence Ministry spokesperson.

Read also:US official: With eye on North Korea, China puts bombers on ‘high alert’

Hope for two-way talks comes off the back of several recent weapons tests from North Korea, which claims it now has the technology to mount a nuclear warhead on a missile.

South Korea’s newly elected president Moon Jae-in took office in May, pledging to rein in Pyongyang’s weapons programme and engage the North in dialogue.

The proposed talks were the first formal initiative by the South since cross-border ties broke down early last year under Moon’s predecessor, Park Geun-Hye.

Seoul has offered to discuss ways to end issues that are fueling tensions on the border like its loud propaganda broadcasts which regularly anger the North.

It’s known that North Korea also wants joint military drills between the U.S. and South Korea to be scrapped.

But so far, there has been no sign that it’s ready for a seat at the negotiating table.

NO COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY