Mother, four children die in mosquito coil fire


Tragedy struck in the Shehuri North area of Maiduguri, Borno State, after a woman and her four children died in a fire reportedly caused by a mosquito coil.

The woman, identified as Iya Adams, and her children – Firdau (seven years old), Adamu (five years old), Babagana (two years old) and Musa (seven months old) – were burnt to death around 12.45am on Wednesday.

Residents, who heard their cry for help, reportedly tried in vain to put out the fire.

The corpses were said to have been taken away by policemen from the Dandal division.

A Twitter user, Dan-Borno,  said nobody in the house survived the fire incident.

“Mother and her four kids were burnt to death following a midnight fire incident caused by a burning mosquito coil in Maiduguri.

“People should be sensitised to how to make use of mosquito coils,” he tweeted.

As of press time, our correspondent could not ascertain the identity and whereabouts of the father of the children.

The state Police Public Relations Officer, Joseph Kwaji, who confirmed the incident, said valuables were also destroyed in the fire.

He said, “The woman lit the mosquito coil in the living room and went to sleep with the children. The mosquito coil burnt out and ignited a fire which consumed everybody in the house.

“The deceased included the mother of the house, Iya Adams, and her children–Firdaus, a female; Adamu, Babagana and Musa. The bodies have been deposited in a morgue. Property, whose value had yet to be ascertained, were also lost to the fire.”