Catechist, two brothers killed in fresh Benue violence


Persons suspected to be Fulani herdsmen on Tuesday allegedly ambushed and killed three persons in separate attacks in Guma Local Government Area of Benue State.

The attacks were said to have occurred at Tse Orogbo and Tseger communities in the council area.

Our correspondent gathered that the attack at Tse Orugbo claimed a Catholic catechist, while the second incident at Tseger village claimed the lives of two brothers.

According to locals, the catechist whose name was given as Christopher Unenger was in a retreat at the village and went back home to pick some documents when herdsmen ambushed and killed him.

“Herdsmen killed a catechist with RCM evening of yesterday (Tuesday).

“The catechist was already in a retreat at the village; we learnt that he went home to pick some documents but was attacked on his way.”

Confirming the killing of the catechist, Director of Communication, Catholic Diocese of Makurdi, Father Moses Iorapuu, declined to give details.

“It is true, but let me forward the information to your WhatsApp,” which he never did.

In the second incident at Tseger in the same council area, two persons were said to have been killed while returning from market.

The victims, who were said to be brothers and identified as Aondowase Uma and Ahanbee, were said to be returning from Yelewata Market on a motor bike around 8:pm when they were ambushed and killed and their motorcycle burnt by the suspected Fulani herdsmen.

Quoting a survivor, a source said one Orihyev Nyaga who escaped but was shot on the left hand said he was returning from the market on a motorcycle when he ran into a road block mounted by the suspected herdsmen.

He said the herdsmen attempted to injure him with machete, but he narrowly escaped before he was shot on the hand and had to abandon his bike and ran into the bush where he escaped and went back to the market and raised the alarm.

According to him, the two victims had already been murdered before he was able to raise the alarm.

The locals told our correspondent that the two dead bodies were recovered by youths and handed over to the Police at Yelewata, from where they were taken to an undisclosed morgue for deposit.

When contacted, the police spokesman, ASP, Moses Yamu, confirmed the incidents but said he was yet to get details.

“I can confirm reports of the attack, but I will get you the details as soon as I get them, please.”